Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pumpkin Bread


I love waking up in the morning and having breakfast all ready to go. One of my go to recipes that I bake the night before which usually lasts two days in this house is pumpkin bread. As with most recipes, I vary it depending on what is in stock. I think variety is good. I think using up all your resources is good. So, here goes:

1 and 2/3 C white sugar
(the original source for this recipe called for 3 cups! Ridiculous... I've cut it down to this amount and it is still sweet and delicious. How low can you go? I also think Raw Sugar or Organic Cane Sugar or whatever variety would work here.)
4 eggs
1/2 t salt
1 C canola oil
2 C pumpkin
(1 can or if you can steam and puree the real thing, even better. But, canned is fine. I've recently used 4 batches of the real thing because after Halloween, a local grocery store was giving away pumpkins! For FREE. I just freezed the already measured amount and was ready to go at the next baking session. I also think butternut squash would work here, but have not tried it yet.)
3 1/3 C Flour
(Mix it up. Half white, half whole wheat or spelt. All or a mix and match would work fine either way)
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
2/3 C water

Using a hand mixer, mix sugar, eggs, salt, oil, and pumpkin. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and water to mix. Bake at 350 for 1 hour in a greased and floured bundt pan.