Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Family Fun's Frankenmuffins

Mine aren't quite as green as in Family Fun

Sometimes in magazines and online, the ideas people give for kids meals are just ridiculous: chop your strawberries into hearts for Valentine's Day, cut your tortilla in the shape of a dinosaur and bake it so it hardens and stands up, you get the idea. All of that stuff is just changing food to try to make a gimmick to get your kids to eat it. I get the concept, but who has the time? Chances are if you are making just about everything from scratch, then that is time consuming enough. I like simple recipes with not a bazillion ingredients. So, when I saw in the October issue of Family Fun Magazine Frankenmuffins, I thought great! I have all of these ingredients typically in the house. Ok, not all the time on bananas or spinach, but easy enough to find on the next trip to the grocery. They are a hit in my house. The kids usually eat spinach anyhow, so I don't need to tell them it is green food coloring as someone suggested online--yuck! The first time I made them I don't think I had quite enough spinach so they weren't as green, but still tasted moist and yummy. The second time, I had 2 bananas to get rid of, plenty of spinach, and I cut back on the sugar to 2/3 cup instead of 3/4. I've decided to try to cut back sugar for myself as I've noticed some arthritis developing in my elbow, toe, and wrist occasionally. And, in this house from Fall to Spring (Birthdays/Halloween to Easter), there is candy, cakes, pies, chocolate, etc. non-stop. Anyhow, muffins were excellent again and gone in an afternoon between the 6 of us at home. I've added this recipe to my good old fashioned recipe box. I'm not technologically savvy in organizing the recipes online as Mr. Hausfrau keeps suggesting I do...another story for another day...

P.S. As I'm writing this and googling "heart shaped strawberries", F is declaring how he would like those sometime...