Monday, September 15, 2014

Eggplant Parmesan and Butternut Squash Sauce

The leftovers

I was making dinner last week which was just going to be linguine with butternut squash sauce from Aldi, when I realized I had an eggplant that needed to be cooked too. So, I made us up some eggplant parmesan in a frenzy. Dinnertime at our house always leaves me like I've been through a tornado. I try to start around 4 PM to have it on the table by 5:30, sometimes a bit earlier, but with all the kids' demands and interruptions, it usually takes a LONG time. There I was preparing eggplant, slicing it thin, dipping in egg, skipping the breadcrumbs, and frying it up. Layering it in a baking sheet with the most amazing tasting sauce I think I ever had--Butternut Squash from Aldi. The ingredients are pretty good too. I'm glad I don't have to make that from scratch. Layering and layering, frying and frying. Adding crumbles of the goat cheese log from Aldi too between layers. It was heaven, at least Mr. Hausfrau and I thought so. Kids were skeptical except for F who is pretty adventurous, naturally likes vegetables, and tastes/eats almost everything. I didn't plan on doing a post ahead of time or else I might have better pictures. This was what was left. It was just so good, I thought I should share it. If you don't shop at Aldi and have one near your neighborhood, I implore you to try it out. After you get used to their brands, you won't be disappointed. You can eat gourmet style for such a small price. And, they are not paying me to say that. They don't even know I exist. Ooohhh, and I just discovered they have a recipe page. I  need to check that out too.

Eggplant Parmesan with Specialty Selected Butternut Squash sauce and goat cheese. Yum!

The Aldi brand called Specialty Selected