Friday, May 30, 2014

Ladybug Birthday Party

For the girls first birthday party in January, I was pretty worn out from just being a mother and Christmas and well, Thanksgiving, and Halloween, and just about everything else. I kind of threw the celebration together I'm ashamed to say. There happened to be a blizzard that day, but a lot of people didn't let that slow them down! It was really nice of everyone to come and not let the blizzard keep them away from O's and P's big day. I went with a ladybug theme. I don't even remember how I came up with that. I think I was just looking online and saw some things for free, so that is what I went with. The girls wore these super cute floral dresses that ladybugs could hang out on. 



I found this downloadable free cupcake decoration here. I only used the cupcake topper, but there are a lot of other fun things to print out too. I also used the cupcake topper cutout to make a bookmark for the kids that attended. 


The cake was something that I thought about for a while. After talking to Mr. Hausfrau, he simplified things for me. I was thinking of having open wings on the ladybug, but he convinced me that it would look just fine if they were closed like on the printable. So, that is what we went with. I will note, that these cakes are the box variety before I got into my homemade baking. I'm not sure how I would do red frosting with going from scratch. I've never tried natural dyes although I'm sure I'm apt to at some time in my life. I got lucky and was able to buy red frosting from the after-Christmas sales. The antennae are zip ties. The spots are chocolate chips, in case you can't tell...



P.S. I took off the wax paper before the guests came...