Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sometimes I Wish I Was In France

I just finished reading another book--a record for me! This was Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman, who is an American raising a family in Paris. She writes of all of the differences between Anglophone (her husband is from Britain and it seems that they are very similar to Americans when it comes to raising kids) and Francophones on how to raise kids. One thing that struck me is that the French don't think about discipline--it is called education. I'm trying to change my thinking on this matter. But, I'm finding difficulties when it seems like no one is listening anyhow. Also, it is increasingly difficult when either one or the other is complaining or whining about something. It's like I just can't get it right.

Another point that Druckerman brings up that I think is crucial in the differences is that the French have a lot of really great government programs that help out with taking care of the children. They have affordable daycares called creches and preschools that are very well run by wonderful staff that take on the jobs as careers. Most women in France seem to work full time but even if they don't they take advantage of the creches at least part time so that they can get a break. This is huge. Boy, would I be relaxed and relieved to have that kind of quality help.

Also, there is no worry about healthcare because again of such good governmental care. Here in the US, governmental care is synonymous with sub-par for sure. Or, on the other hand is just plain expensive. For example, Finley has had two falls in the past two months which have required emergency room visits and stitches. The ER visit alone with our insurance is just under $400. Then, there is a visit to the doctor's office to remove the stitches, which we just got the bill for the first visit and it was another $40 on top of the $400. So, I watched the doctor removed the stitches last time, so I took care of it myself at home for free. Do we see the irony in this? Very frustrating!

Anyhow, I did learn some tacts to try out that the French use--they haven't worked well yet, but I am going to keep at it. One tact is actually going pretty well and that is the tasting of different foods. Bodhi won't touch a vegetable to save his life normally, but that has changed. He tried an artichoke and beet greens tonight. Of course they weren't loved, but he TRIED it. This is something huge. And he was pretty proud of himself about it too.

I'll end there--on a positive note. Until next time...I've got some sewing projects coming up, mostly clothing refashions, if I can figure out how to put in a zipper.