Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Painted Rain Barrels

This past June and beginning of July has really been a busy time for us! We had two weddings to attend, the Garden Club put on a Garden Tour in our city (which was on the same day as one of the weddings, so I couldn't go! Darnit!), and our town's summer festival is this weekend. This particular post is going to showcase the rain barrels that I painted for our Garden Club. One was raffled off at the Garden Tour and one will be raffled off at Summerfest. From what I've heard it looks like we made about $150 on the first raffle! Everyone keeps asking me what kind of paint I used, so I'll tell you--Rustoleum. I guess people were asking if the paint was weatherproofed. I painted our barrel similarly using the same paint and it has held up for 4-5 years. The only place the paint is peeling is up top, so that is why I did not paint these barrels on the top. Rain tends to collect there and where there is sitting water, there is usually peeling paint. I mean, I'm sure they are not going to last forever. Even a house, or in our case, a garage or window sill eventually needs to be painted after 5 or so years. And, when my kids hit the painted walls in our house with their toys or we hit the wall with something, there is a chip or a ding. Same thing will happen here with a painted rain barrel. Anyway....tada....