Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fabric Baby Teether

 I worked as fast I could while the two young ones were napping. Actually, Bodhi was threatening to crawl out of his crib and not take a nap, but I was glad he settled down. He's not a very good listener sometimes and timeouts don't seem to work too well--should I call Super Nanny? Anyhow, this project isn't the best that I could do, but for some reason I just wanted to get it done. The ribbon is a mess, I didn't sew the turning seem correctly and just zig-zagged to get it finished. But here it is:


I never thought that I could make a baby teether. It seemed like it should be a hard or firm object, but as I saw this post on Homemade by Jill and looked around at my baby's toys that he likes to put in his mouth -- a lot of them are fabric and soft. So, I thought this would be a nice Valentine's gift for my Finley. This was also a great project to use up some fabric scraps, which I love. The back of the owl is a velvet that I used to make both my boys' Christmas stockings. I loved Jill's idea of using a soft, minky fabric for the back of the teether, but I didn't have any in the house, so velvet it was. For the crinkly effect, I used a cleaned up potato chip bag. This pattern would also be nice as an applique or a Christmas ornament too.