Monday, November 8, 2010

Favorite Shirt Repurposed and Updated

I really like the ruffles and flowers on women's clothes I am seeing these days. Being on the hausfrau budget and schedule though, it seems silly to go out and buy a lot of new clothes especially when most of my wardrobe gets sticky fingers wiped on it or drooled or spit-up on. In spite of that I found a way to incorporate my crafting skills to update one of my favorite shirts with fabric flowers.

I rediscovered my favorite knit shirt while cleaning out my closet. I love the neutral color and always thought the neckline draped so nicely and was flattering. But, after having 2 babies in two years, my body has changed a bit and the shirt was a bit short on me (let's say due to nursing). Luckily, however, I had another knit shirt (strapless--like I could ever wear that again!) that was a similar color. So, I cut off the bottom of the strapless shirt and sewed it to the hem of my favorite shirt to make it longer and more in style and flattering.

For the flowers, I cut three strips of varying widths from the strapless shirt and ran a needle and thread through the bottom of each strip to gather each into a flower shape. Since the fabric is knit, I didn't worry about the raw edges since they won't ravel (although I've seen that look too and it can also work). For the center of the flower, I cut small strips of the strapless shirt and made a knot and sewed that to the center of the flower with the edges of the knot tucked underneath the flower. Then, I whip-stitched around the three flowers and attached them to my favorite shirt. To give the shirt a little stability for those heavy flowers, I ironed on some interfacing inside the shirt. I did this after all the hand-stitching, so I'm not sure if it will stay put, but I'll let you know. Anyhow, I really like the outcome! What do you think?



I'd like to make more flowers and put them somewhere, but not sure where?? How about on my winter wool coats? Hmmm...now, that's an idea that I might add to my ever growing list of winter projects.